Pages





Friday, March 12, 2010

Waffles!

Typically, Friday is pancake day in my home.  Back when I just had 2 children, I used to ask this question in the morning, "what do you want for breakfast?", to each of them.  NEVER AGAIN do I ask that!  It didn't take me long to nip that one in the bud, either.  I got tired of them each wanting different things, so now, we have the same thing for each different day of the week:  Monday = grits with ham & cheese, Tuesday = tortilla wraps, Wednesday = scrambled eggs & toast, Thursday = cereal and milk, Friday = pancakes, Saturdays = big family breakfast with whatever Daddy wants.  Throw in a glass of milk and whatever fruit I have on hand, and it's done.  And, this is about as organized as I get, people.  I find this system makes my mornings run so much more smoothly, though.  Now, the kids ask me "mom, what day is it?"..."Wednesday"..."so, we are having eggs today, right?"  Much better.  Anyway, today was *supposed* to be pancake Friday, but when I went to the pantry, I saw no box of pancake mix!@#@!$!@#  I know...shameful!  I warned you that the breakfast menu is the extend of organization here.  I usually get the 'just add water' kind because it's quick, easy, and tasty.  But, I made the most of it and suggested we have waffles instead.  I found THE BEST Belgian waffle recipe ever on a Google search once, so the kids and I made a batch of them, and they didn't even make it to the kitchen table!  We said Grace right there at the stove and just ate the waffles hot off the waffle iron...they are that good.  And, while my kitchen was a big mess, my dining room was not, so it was all good =)  Here we are making our fabulous breakfast (recipe at end of this post):
 Natalie whipping up the egg whites:
 Andrew mixing the batter:
Rachel helping by beating on the floor: 
Everyone enjoying their waffles =): 
 Eating & cooking:
 
As you can see, they had fun making these and eating them =)  And, I guess you can tell that I got my camera back!!  I am pretty excited about that.  My sister was kind enough to mail it to me this week...love that gal!  So, later today we are going to head outside and enjoy the beautiful spring weather and take some pictures.  That post to come later.  Now, the kids are playing happily in the playroom with waffle-filled tummies =)  Here is the recipe I used:
 
You will need:
3 bowls
2 c. flour
3 1/2 t. baking powder
3/4 c. sugar 
2 eggs
1 1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. butter, melted
1 1/2 t. vanilla extract
 
In the largest bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and sugar.  In the smallest bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.  In the 3rd bowl, beat the egg yolks.  Add the milk, butter, vanilla extract, and mix well.  Pour the egg/milk mixture in with the dry ingredients, and mix just until moistened.  Fold in egg whites.  *the actual recipe didn't call for separating the egg whites, but I like to do it that way.....you don't have too, though.*  Cook in batches on a hot waffle iron.  
 
I have one of those Farberware, square waffle irons, and I got 4 batches out of this recipe (so, 16 smaller square waffles).  The original recipe was actually double this, but it makes so many, I cut it in half.  I don't remember where I found this recipe online, so I can't give credit, but if I come across it again, I'll come and post the link.  These are pretty sweet, so they are good just plain without syrup.  My kids didn't even use plates...they just ate them as they were.  It pairs up nicely with fruit, too.   Enjoy! 
 
 
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...