Pages





Friday, February 5, 2010

Who Dat and Watcha Eatin'?

Ok...I have a confession to make.  I am not really a Saints fan.  No, not the Catholic Saints...the New Orleans Saints.  There!  I said it.  Now, before all you NOLA residents come hunt me down, let me explain.  It's not that I don't enjoy watching football.  In fact, my husband and I spend many Sundays when we were first married watching Saints football together.  At least before the whole switch from analog to digital signal happened (but that's another post entirely).  My point is, I enjoy watching football because it's fun to sit around with good friends eating fun food, enjoying each other's company and a little bit of friendly competition.  But, as far as having die-hard loyalty to a specific team?  Not so much.  And I'm certainly not going to jump on the bandwagon now just because they are having a good season.  That's worse than never being a fan.  If you weren't a fan before this season, then you should keep it that way.  Let the die-hards have their glory...I, however, deserve none.  I also haven't been living under a rock these last few months, so I know that the Saints going to the Superbowl is very exciting news and I will be joining in that excitement!  I'll tell you what I am a fan of, though....I am a fan of New Orleans, Cajun accents, southern hospitality, Catholic culture, Cajun cuisine, and the beautiful St. Patrick's Cathedral in downtown NOLA.  So, I think it's only right and fair that I get to say WHO DAT?!  THE SAINTS ARE GOING TO THEIR FIRST SUPERBOWL BABY!  There has been such energy and excitement here in Louisiana!  And it's about time too!  The last time something this big and exciting happened in the Big Easy it was almost wiped out by a category 5 hurricane!  Needless to say, my family and I will be enjoying the Superbowl this weekend with another family.  And we will be far outnumbered by kids!  The ratio will be around 2:1, which always makes for fun time =)  There will be some really good party food there as well, so I thought I'd share the recipes that I am making to bring for the big day.  My good friend Michelle is making club sandwiches and a crockpot of meatballs, and I'm bringing chips with homemade salsa and guacamole, and chicken wings!  YUMMY!  Here are the recipes I'm using for this weekend:

Homemade Salsa (this is a Chile's knockoff I found online):
I can Rotel tomatoes
14 1/2 ounces can whole peeled tomatoes plus the juice
1 tablespoon jalapenos (I use 4-6 of those sliced japapenos from the jar)
1/4 of a medium onion
3/4 teaspoon garlic salt, to taste
1/2 teaspoon cumin, or more to taste
1/4 teaspoon sugar, to taste

Place onion and jalapenos in a food processor.  Pulse a few times.  Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until it is the consistency you like.  That's it!  Feel free to add fresh garlic or cilantro if that is your preference.  This is our family's favorite!  You won't be disappointed.  Serve with a warm bowl of On the Border brand tortilla chips (it HAS to be On the Border brand - those are simply the best)

Philip's awesome guacamole:
2 ripe avocados
4-6 sliced jalapenos from the jar
1-2 T homemade salsa (see above recipe)
1 T mayonnaise
a little sprinkle of Tony Chachere's
a splash of lemon or lime juice (whichever you have)

Cut the avocados in half and spoon them into a bowl.  Dice the jalapenos and add them to the avocados.  Add the other ingredients and mix well with a fork or whisk.  You can leave it chunky, or blend it smooth...whichever you prefer.  Serve with On the Border brand tortilla chips

Chicken Wings:
I've never actually made these, but I figured if the Saints can go to the Superbowl for the first time, then I can do this for the first time =)  I found this recipe from the Foodnetwork.  It's from Paula Deen, and she has never let me down, so I'm going to try it.  You can find the link here.  I'll probably also adjust the heat with less hot sauce since there are kids involved.  I'm also going to try a batch of teriyaki wings like these from Tyler Florence.  
Now, if I were The Pioneer Woman, I'd have lots of witty quips and gorgeous photos of me and the kids and all the 'cast of characters' while making all this food, but I'm not and my camera needs to be put on life support because she is on her last breath.  Besides, I haven't even made the food yet!  So, come back and check next week and I'll have some photos of the kids and I making these delish party foods and I'll review the recipes that I have yet to try. 

Enjoy your Superbowl party this weekend if you are going, and 
Happy Feast Day of St. Agatha!!

 
"Saint Agatha, you suffered sexual assault and indignity because of your faith. Help heal all those who are survivors of sexual assault and protect those women who are in danger."  Amen


Oh, and check out what other Faith and Family mom's are cooking up for the Superbowl here.


2 comments:

Nicole said...

I am making gumbo for the occasion, and I will be trying out Pioneer Woman's homemade salsa recipe too sometime this weekend. I've never made salsa before. We are expecting 6-8 inches of snow by tomorrow, so we'll need plenty of comfort food.

Cathy LeBlanc said...

I just love that Pioneer woman! you can have the snow, though!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...