Pages





Friday, February 19, 2010

Farm Update

I blogged about our baby calf in an earlier post, and we didn't know at the time if it was a male or female.  It's a girl!  Natalie named her Felicity, and she is still the cutest thing I've ever seen!  She's healthy and survived the recent patch of cold weather, so we are pretty happy about that.  She nurses well and I've even seen her try to eat some hay and grass a handful of times.  I'm new to all of this, so I don't know when they start eating food other than their mom's milk???  Anyway, I really wanted to make her a milk cow, but I don't know if that will be able to happen.  We are not really set up out here yet to do that, and if you don't get them used to being handled from a young age, it makes it more difficult.  But I'm still hopeful!  We may be able to work with her once we get our cow pen set up properly.

As far as my garden goes....I don't even want to talk about it!  I wasn't counting on all this cold weather, so I think I planted too early.  A couple weeks ago, the kids and I planted lettuce, spinach, carrots, peas, turnips, radishes, and beets - I've decided I'm just going to jump in head first at this garden thing!  But, with that last round of snow and freezing weather, I think I may have to try again.  Absolutely nothing sprouted!!  Oh well..at least my garden bed is prepped and ready for when the weather warms up.  I'm definitely not giving up!!  It is Lent, after all ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...