Pages





Saturday, February 27, 2010

Patience is Definitely Not My Virtue

After barely even a month from planting seeds, my garden finally sprouted!!  When I put the seeds in the ground, I was expecting cute, little, green sprouts within a few days, or a week at the latest.  Then 2 weeks go by...nothing.  I was ready to scrap the whole thing, re-till the garden and start over.  Luckily, I didn't have time to do that!  Three weeks went by, and one block (I plant in square blocks instead of rows) managed to make it above ground.  I was excited, but still disappointed that I had success with only one vegetable instead of all of them.  I mean, I planted lettuce, spinach, carrots, peas, turnips, radishes, and beets.  Surely more than one had to grow!!!  And, of course, it was my least favorite vegetable that grew - the radishes.  I don't even know what to do with those things besides slice them and put them in a salad??  At least, I think it was the radishes that sprouted....I can't find the paper where I wrote down what I planted where.  Gardening is supposed to be simple (not easy, but simple), and satisfying.  I was starting to get really frustrated that it was taking so long, and then, today it happened!  I went out to check on what I figured would be just a black patch of soil covered with hay, and there they were!  Beautiful green sprouts spotted all over my garden bed.  I am sooo excited!  I think the only vegetables that haven't sprouted yet are the carrots.  And, that's ok...maybe they still will.  I guess I should just be more patient...  I wish I had a picture to post of them, but alas!  I do not. 

1 comments:

Pam said...

This reminds me of when we planted a row of green beans and a row of red beans. When they grew and grew and grew, they all blended together and we couldn't remember which row was which. They both look alike. We put away a bunch of what I thought was green beans -- until I cooked them and realized they were green red beans! We neglected the garden so much that year, we finally just plowed it all over.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...