Pages





Monday, September 13, 2010

What's in a Meme?


 A week or so ago, I was tagged in a meme by my friend Suzanne, from Classically Catholic.  What is a meme, you might ask?  Well, I have no idea.  So, I looked it up.  According to Merriam-Webster, a meme is "an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture."  Kind of vague, but whatever.  Now that we have that cleared up, the directions for this particular meme are as follows:

Share Your Favorite Catholic Prayers in this meme:
~Step 1: Name your three most favorite Catholic devotional prayers, and explain why they're your favorites. (The Liturgy and the Sacraments are off limits here. This meme is only interested in people's favorite devotional prayers.)
~Step 2: Tag five bloggers you admire and ask them to play this meme.
~Step 3: Tell the person who tagged you that you've completed the meme.

So, in no particular order, my three most favorite Catholic Prayers are:
1.  Ok, I know I said in no particular order, but this one is actually my favorite...well, it is if I follow the rules about leaving out the Liturgy and Sacraments.  Although, this may *kind of* be cheating.  My first choice is Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament.  I love the songs, the smell of the incense, the Latin, the prayers, and all the pomp and circumstance that comes along with it.  We have Benediction every third Sunday after Mass at our parish, and I look forward to it every month!  Especially because I am not able to make a regular Holy Hour right now.  It just lifts my soul in a way that other prayers can't.  Maybe it has to do with the Real Presence just a bit ;)?

2.  I would have to go with the Rosary...an obvious choice, I know, but it's obvious for a reason.  And while I have trouble concentrating and focusing on the mysteries, and it takes a serious act of will for me to sit down and pray one, this prayer always calms me.  The fruits are so immense, I notice them almost immediately.  And, if I have been really good about saying my Rosary, and then fall off the wagon, I can really tell a difference.  It makes such a difference in my life, it's hard for me to argue against praying it.  Oh, and for the record, my favorite mystery is the Fourth Sorrowful Mystery, Jesus Takes up His Cross.  That one always motivates me to work harder at my day's work, because if Jesus can do that, then surely I can wash a sink full of dishes without complaining!

3.  And, third on my list are the Stations of the Cross.  I don't really know what draws me to this prayer, but I just have a special place in my heart for it.  And, similar to the Rosary, it does take an act of will for me to say it, and the focusing problems are there, but I just love this prayer.  It just reminds me what we're all striving for, and that my suffering really does serve a purpose.  

Ok, there you go!  My top 3 Catholic devotional prayers.  Step 2 requires me to tag 5 people...I don't actually have time to do that part at the moment, so hopefully I'll get to that within the week.  So, what are your favorite Catholic devotions??  Thanks for the tag, Suzanne!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...